After spending numerous years as a professional basketball player and physical education teacher in Hong Kong, Jason founded the HKBA program in 2011 with the intent of elevating youth basketball in the region. He was also inspired and motivated to launch HKBA to provide for his newborn and first child, Kyara. Over a decade later, she is blossoming into quite the basketball player in her own right as well as his budding athlete son, Toby. Jason continues to operate HKBA with the same family culture alongside his wife, Trang. Jason is a big kid at heart and takes joy in seeing others succeed in life.
• Hong Kong University — BSc (Sports Science and Leisure Management)
• Chinese University of Hong Kong — PGDE (Post Graduate Diploma in Education)
• Hong Kong International School — Physical Education Teacher
• ESF - Physical Education Teacher
• 6 seasons with professional Winling Basketball Club
• 2x Hong Kong Division 1 Champion — Winling
• Hong Kong National Team Member
• Basketball Scholarship — Hong Kong University
• 3x Adidas Street Ball Challenge Champion
• 2x And 1 Competition — Hong Kong Team
• 1st Runner Up — 2011 Redbull King Of The Rock
• North American Chinese Slam Dunk Champion
• University of Toronto (Scarborough) Team Member
Coach Steve is now in his ninth year with HKBA. He has over fifteen years of high-level playing experience in the Hong Kong division 1 league. Steve has played on teams for Fukien, Winling, and South China. He has had the honor of representing on the Hong Kong National team in international tournaments. Steve also has two years of head coaching experience in the Hong Kong division 1 league.
Steve is also an experienced personal trainer with more than ten years as a professional in the field.
• Degree in Journalism and Communications.
• Hong Kong Junior National Team — 1995 • Hong Kong National Team — 1997
• Hong Kong Basketball Coach Certification — 2000
• IPTFA Certified Personal Trainer — 2003 • AASFP Certified Personal Trainer — 2004
• NASM Certified Personal Trainer — 2009 • PTA Global Certified Personal Trainer — 2013
Coach Mitchell Chu has been with the HKBA organization for nearly 10 years. Offering his passion and commitment to coaching in youth basketball, high school basketball, as well as professional players. Mitch specializes in skills development and strength/conditioning (Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist by NSCA) with proven results through everyone he encounters. In addition, he lead the U18 HKBA Elite Championship team as head coach in the 2018 Asia Pacific Youth Basketball Cup in Singapore.
Mitch played Varsity Basketball for his high school in the United States, then moved back to Hong Kong to pursue further education in Law. He started coaching for Hong Kong Basketball Academy in 2013 and has been coaching ever since. He has played professional Basketball in Division 1 of the Hong Kong Basketball Association and participated in multiple international tournaments.
Coach Mitch has a passion for coaching and helping the youth through basketball. He believes in the values of hard work, discipline, dedication, and perseverance which he strives to instill in his players. His goal is to make a positive impact on the players he crosses paths with and builds character traits that will help them succeed on and off the court.
Coach Justin has been with HKBA for nearly 5 years. "To me, basketball is not just a game, it’s also a sport where players learn how to build a positive attitude, to be passionate, committed, respect themselves and others, cope with success and accept failure."
Through my coaching, players learn not only basketball skills but also communication skills, teamwork, leadership skills, along with strong work ethics and commitment to the sport which these attributes in terms will translate into success in their everyday lives.
• BSc Sports Science — Middlesex University
• Australia basketball coach certification
• Basketball life coach certification
• St. Paul's coed
• Australia international school
• Canadian school
• German Swiss international school
Coach Cam has been passionate about basketball for as long as he can remember. From pickup games on parking lot courts to playing at the professional level, Coach Cam believes that everyone who steps on the court has their own basketball journey to embark on.
Currently in his first year coaching with HKBA, Cam has been active in the Hong Kong A1 and A2 Divisions for several years, playing for professional teams Onching and Namching of the Hong Kong Basketball Association.
He has close to a decade of experience coaching basketball and is a strong believer in passing on a positive basketball culture and morals to the next generation of hoopers. He believes a solid foundation in basketball fundamentals and teamwork translate to success.
Good is better than best; never let it rest until your good is better and your better is best. Tim Duncan
• Currently BSC Sports Coaching - Northumbria University
• England Basketball Level 2 Coach
• England Basketball Level 1 Referee
• EFR First Aid Instructor
• NASM CPT
• Hong Kong Division A2 Basketball Player (Onching 2019, 2023)
• Hong Kong Division A1 Industrial Cup (Namching 2020)
• Sketch International Team Captain (Philippines)
10 year professional basketball veteran Jasonn Hannibal is from Mississauga, Canada. Prior to beginning his professional career in Europe, he played NCAA Division 1 basketball at the University of Portland. He ultimately settled in Hong Kong after years of travel, and he has joined the HKBA as an assistant coach with the goal to pass along his expertise in post play to the next generation. Fundamentals are the foundation of every great player, according to him, and hard work and commitment may bring you places talent alone cannot. Let's work hard but also wisely!
• Bachelor of Arts (Music) University of Portland
Professional basketball in Slovenia, Kosovo, Mexico, Iran, Morocco, Macau, Canada, Hong Kong.
Join the the HKBA family and deliver world-class basketball training, and plenty of fun, to youth athletes.
We offer a rewarding coaching environment to all our staff full and part time positions, competitive salary and health benefits.
Email Us Your Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject: HKBA Coaching
We look forward to connecting with you soon.
- The HKBA Team