Jason is the Founder and Director of the Hong Kong Basketball Academy (HKBA). As Director, Jason keeps coaches engaged and ensures players are improving and having a positive life experience. His basketball experience comes from playing on the Hong Kong National Team and Winling Professional Basketball Club. He was awarded a basketball scholarship from the University of Hong Kong (HKU) - where he earned a degree in Sports Science and Leisure Management. He also has received a post-graduate teaching diploma from the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK).
• Hong Kong University — BSc Sports Science and Leisure Management
• Chinese University of Hong Kong — PGDE Teacher of Physical Education
• Hong Kong International School — Physical Education Teacher
• 6 seasons with Winling Basketball Club
• 2x Hong Kong Division 1 Champion — Winling
• Hong Kong National Team
• Basketball Scholarship — Hong Kong University
• 3x Adidas Street Ball Challenge Champion
• 1st Runner Up — Redbull King Of The Rock
Coach Steve is now in his sixth year with HKBA. He has over fifteen years of high-level playing experience in the Hong Kong division 1 league. Steve has played on teams for Fukien, Winling, and South China. He has had the honor of representing on the Hong Kong National team in international tournaments. Steve also has two years of head coaching experience in the Hong Kong division 1 league.
Steve is also an experienced personal trainer with more than ten years as a professional in the field.
Degree in Journalism and Communications.
• Hong Kong Junior National Team — 1995 • Hong Kong National Team — 1997
• Hong Kong Basketball Coach Certification — 2000
• IPTFA Certified Personal Trainer — 2003 • AASFP Certified Personal Trainer — 2004
• NASM Certified Personal Trainer — 2009 • PTA Global Certified Personal Trainer — 2013
Coach Steve is married with two daughters.
Coach Richie is in his fourth year with the HKBA family. He was born and raised in New York, USA, where his earliest memories involve a basketball and a hoop. He has been successful at high levels of competitive sport, both in the United States and in Hong Kong, where he currently plays in Division 1 of the Hong Kong Basketball Association. Competitive, but approachable, Coach Richie stresses fundamentals and the power of habit, believing that "you play how you practice." His method focuses on detail, consistent effort, and having fun, and he always strives to teach lessons that have practical applicability to life outside the court.
Utah Valley University - Degree in Business Management
• Utah Valley University (NCAA Division 1)
• Currently playing in Division 1 for Hong Kong Basketball Association.
• Certified NFHS coach
To me, basketball is not just a game, it’s also a sport where players learn how to build a positive attitude, to be passionate, committed, respect themselves and others, cope with success and accept failure.
Through my coaching, players learn not only basketball skills but also communication skills, teamwork, leadership skills, along with strong work ethics and commitment to the sport which these attributes in terms will translate into success in their everyday lives.
• BSc Sports Science — Middlesex University
• Australia basketball coach certification
• Basketball life coach certification
• St. Paul's coed
• Australia international school
• Canadian school
• German Swiss international school
Coach Omar is dedicated to teaching basketball fundamentals to young athletes through his experience, strong work ethic, and with positive energy. “Praise behaviour that you want to be repeated” is one of many philosophies coach Omar instills to empower his student-athletes.
• CYW Diploma - George Brown College
• USA Basketball Certified Coach
• CPR/First Aid Level C
• Toronto Police College
• George Brown
• OCAA All-Star (First Team Captain)
As an athlete, I believe athletics develops character and skills that translate well into daily life.
o Cooperation – you cannot succeed without a core group of individuals surrounding and supporting you
o Teamwork – doing what is necessary for everyone to succeed
o Collaboration – being open-minded to various opinions and ideas
o Decision-making – learning from trial and errors and making the best choice based on those experiences
o Dedication – committing to continuous improvement
o Resiliency – not giving up when faced with a difficult situation
o Pride & Integrity – being proud of your efforts and results
As an educator, I believe that all students are different in terms of their qualities and capabilities. Each of them has their own needs and wants. I cannot assume that there is only one path to teaching them, I must treat them equitably so they may be equal to their peers. I take this approach because everyone deserves to be treated in a way that will help them achieve and succeed in the future.
• Bachelor of Physical and Health Education, University of Toronto
• Bachelor of Education, Intermediate/Senior—Physical Education and Health and Biology Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto
• Teacher, Toronto District School Board Physical Education & Health, General Science, Biology, Special Education
• National Coaching Certification Program
• The Ontario Federation of School Athletics Associations - Coaching
• Lifesaving Society – Emergency First Aid with CPR C
• Toronto Titans 2007-2013
Join the the HKBA family and deliver world-class basketball training, and plenty of fun, to young athletes.
We offer our staff full and part time positions, competitive salary, bonuses, and health benefits for peace of mind.
Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. *Should you not hear from us please assume your application was unsuccessful.